I know, I know. It’s been a while. I was chewed up and spat out by the gilla monster known as graduate school, first semester. But it’s almost over, and while I still need to do 2 20-page papers…and do some research on one of them…and also grade some papers….crap…I need to take time out and compile my thanks.
Last year, as some of you may recall, I did a few weeks of thanks leading up to Thanksgiving, and I ended up doing it again this year. However, looking at my list this year, I can see I have so much more to be thankful for.
1. I am thankful for the most amazing group of friends I’ve made up at UCONN in the Schools of Graduate English and Medieval Studies. It’s amazing to see how many people out there think like me (and get my ridiculous references to Tolkien and GRRM). I’m so lucky I get to learn from you all every day. And to my fabulous fellow first-year TA’s…has it only been 3 months since I first met you wonderful people?
2. Today I am thankful for my incredible brother in law, Todd. It is very rare you can talk to someone about the Red Sox closers, Connecticut education standards, and The Goonies in the same conversation. For that, for making my sister so happy, and for being one kickass Dad to the most beautiful little boy ever, I am extremely thankful. ((Note: This was for Todd’s birthday.))
3. I’m going to attempt to be thankful for my Research Methods class. It is helping me understand Literary Theory and to become more aware of where some of these huge ideas in our field come from. ((Note: This was when I was buried neck deep in a 20-article bibliography with 200-word annotations. Oh, lord.))
4. I am thankful for The Twilight Series, as it reminds me daily of the kind of writer I never want to be. I am also thankful for Anne Rice, Neil Gaiman, Bram Stoker, and Steve Niles for promoting true vampirism throughout the world. If I wanted sparkly vampires, I’d throw glitter on my crucifix. Thank you and goodnight.
5. I am thankful for every single guy (and girl) who called me fat, four-eyes, nerd, loser, geek, stupid, crazy, or weird. I get paid to read books for a living and I could smoke your asses in a 10K race. Let’s just say I win, bitches. ((I’d like to extend this to thank every single acting teacher I had in college who told me to lose weight. Who is laughing now?))
6. I am thankful for my Dad. That is all. ((This came the day we learned of the terrible plane crash that claimed the lives of both the head and assistant coach of OSU’s women’s basketball team. I think about that circumstance a lot. More than I should.))
7. I am thankful for a week off for Thanksgiving. A Saturday morning when I can sleep in and not feel pangs of guilt about missing studying time? WHAT?! ((…Clearly I was really excited. I slept until 9 one day this week. Who am I?))
8. I am thankful for everyone I have ever performed/worked with at Cheney Hall as part of the Little Theater of Manchester. Who would have thought four years ago when I walked in to audition for Camelot I would make such an amazing community of new friends?
9. I am thankful for my Nonna. If you weren’t aware….Nonna is a BAMF. End of story.
10. I am thankful for the amazing women I’ve gotten to know in my life through my Dad’s (admittedly) kick-ass job, and I’m also thankful he never spoiled me or my siblings so I didn’t turn into a Jersey Shore, Basketball Wife clone. I just turned into a raging nerd with a fascination with pagan mythology instead. Win? ((this was the night of the Stanford game. I’m still kind of shocked we won. I didn’t get a chance to watch it on TV, but I did watch Twitter feeds…and wow, y’all are vicious. That game was gritty, well-fought, and well-played all around. How dare you complain.))
11. I am thankful for my nephew. The craziest, weirdest, funniest, cutest boy in the whole wide world.
12. I am thankful for yoga for everything it has done for me, body and soul combined. In addition, I am thankful to the AMAZING community of friends I’ve made at Samadhi Yoga Studio. You all changed my life. JAI!!! ♥
And we come to today. Today…on the day of thanks, I am thankful for the following.
I am thankful for a roof over my head
my amazing friends in both CT and elsewhere
laughing until your stomach hurts
peanut butter in all of its glorious variations, and other forms of nut butter too. Justin’s Maple Nut Butter? COME ON.
hot chocolate in a mug shaped like a penguin (what, you don’t own one?)
my FABULOUS C.A.S.T. kids
my students for working so hard….most of the reason why I haven’t blogged a lot is because I wasn’t sure what I could or could not disclose. Will be posting QUITE a lot when the semester is over, have no fear.)
EVERYONE at Occupy Wall Street